Wednesday 27 May 2009

A double whammy last night - a Christy Moore gig at the Royal Festival Hall (one of my two favourite buildings in London, the other being Battersea Power Station). He's a fantastic singer, with one of those voices that, if you're Irish, you'll know straight away. He sounds like no other. And not many singers have the luxury of being accompanied by Declan Sinnott of Horslips.

A great set - some brilliant songs, listened to as much for the lyrics as the music. There was a Joni Mitchell one about the Magdalen Laundries - given the news coming out of Ireland these days, those lyrics made you sit up in your seat. And, being from Norn Iron, my night was made by a quick blast of 'I'll tell me ma'. But for me, the song that made the heart skip a beat was 'The well below the valley', with Moore accompanying himself on the bodhran.

There's no denying the quality of the music. My only quibble, ironically, would be the venue - Irish music doesn't lend itself to sitting down. Let's see them at the Roundhouse next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment