Monday 25 May 2009

Lasagne followed by apple crumble


We have a friend from home staying tonight, and I am breaking with tradition by actually cooking. I will have to warn him that tonight's dinner represents my entire culinary repertoire (apart from soup). Rather embarrassingly, I have every cookbook under the sun, but I really just like looking at the pictures.

Tonight's recipes come from two of my favourites. The apple crumble recipe comes from The Dairy Book of Home Cookery. This has special memories - published in the sixties, it was the mainstay of my mother's cooking when we were growing up. She gave her copy to my sister (she's the domesticated one), who in turn bought me a copy when we were browsing in a sadly shortlived second hand book shop in Stromness (in the Orkneys).

The lasagne recipe comes from Eating to Win - a collection of favourite recipes donated by leading Irish rugby players of a couple of years ago. Thank-you Kevin Maggs! It's a great book - not least for the photos - but you can tell a lot about the players by the recipes they've suggested. Some of them are obviously from swanky restaurants, while others were clearly supplied by their mammies. Aw, bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment